Friday, October 4, 2013

Miss LeFan and the Vanishing T-Shirt

I was in the first grade back in 1978-1979 and my wardrobe consisted mainly of Superman t-shirts and Star Wars iron-on t-shirts. Imagine my delight as my father brought home a present for me. It was a yellow t-shirt with an iron-on of Frankenstein and it said "School Made Me What I Am Today."

I was overjoyed and proudly wore the shirt the very next school day. Everything went fine in Miss LeFan's class until the bell rang and it was time to go to the next class. Miss LeFan stopped me as tiny me walked by "Asta, I don't like your shirt." I was just a tiny child who was completely dumbfounded. Its not like I picked this out or I needed her approval. I didn't like her anyway. She had replaced our nice first grade teacher and was very strict. I should have told my father but it didn't seem important at the time.

Anyway, I never wore the shirt again. I never saw it again and when asking my mother where it was, she would change the subject as if "out of sight. out of mind." Did Miss LeFan call my parents and express disapproval of the shirt? Then why couldn't I wear it on the weekend? Just one of the million mysteries of the Asta household.

Thank you, internet. Found just in time for this blog entry!!

No comments:

Post a Comment